Sunday, February 16, 2014

Can you sum up what you do in one sentence?

http://lolmythesis.com/post/76753806462/rawls-believed-that-his-theory-didnt-need-to-include

Thanks to lolmythesis for inspiring me to summarize my dissertation in one sentence. A quick look at the website reveals that many other contributors are much wittier in stating their research interests.

This reminds me of the time I met a prominent political theorist in a hotel restroom at the American Philosophical Association annual conference. She recognized me and wished me good luck on my job search.
As she applied lipstick with an expert hand, looking at my reflection as I stood behind her and slightly to the left, she told me, "you should be able to sum up your dissertation in a couple of sentences. Get it right and then simply memorize it. This will help you through your job interviews."  She was right. I'm thankful to her for this advice.

Now I'm curious. Dear readers, I challenge you to post one sentence describing what you do. This could be fun.