Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Portrait by a friend

The 3-year-old boy I've been babysitting for the past few weeks helped his mother make a birthday card for me yesterday. Here is his portrait of us together.
Text description of the image above: My head is at the top left and he is in the bottom left corner. He's managed to capture the light, playful energy between us quite deftly, I think. The lines are in crayon, swirling around and connected to each other.  He shows himself as made of straight lines densely packed, and I am mostly squiggly curves and circles with more space between the curves. 

This might just be the best portrait anyone has given me.  I've had a few photos taken that captured some aspect of my character, but I really love this rendition. And I love that it depicts me in relationship to a child, which is when I feel most joyful.