Friday, January 26, 2018

Poem for the Lunar New Year

One advantage of following the Lunar New Year is that it hasn't started yet; the Year of the Dog starts on Feb. 16, 2018.  This gives us all more time to write our vision statements for the coming cycle.  Here's my draft:

I am grateful to be alive.

I am thankful that I have creative, kind, compassionate
close friends who continue to reach out to me
and offer their support and appreciation.

I am grateful that my parents are still both alive
in their late 70s and early 80s.
I am thankful that my beloved brother lives
in vibrant originality,
well supported by family and friends, healthy and content.

Singing, composing, crafting, writing short fiction,
and other mindfulness practices
have given me reasons to keep going
even when things get
terribly
 difficult.

I am thankful to that still small voice
 that has never stopped whispering
that there is a better life to live
if I can only keep my feet upon the right path.

In this moment, I choose to listen to that vital voice.

I choose to disregard
the societal obsession with
status,
and the illusion of financial security.

I choose spiritual well-being,
meaning,
laughing with children,
walking gingerly upon a shattered glass labyrinth.

Knowing that this life must end, I treasure every moment just as it is.

Aware that I have no control over external circumstances,
I exhale regrets and inhale a fresh moment.

May every living being on this earth
be healthy, happy, live with ease, and be safe.
Amen.