Friday, April 12, 2013

Two Friends

One of my closest friends didn't speak to me for more than a year... But some friendships are like that. After about 18 months, he started speaking to me, and he hasn't stopped since.

He is a toddler.
 
I've noticed that many adults, myself included, tend to have jampacked schedules every weeknight and all weekend. After spending dozens of hours with my new friend, I started wondering why I devoted so much time to grading mediocre papers on introductory philosophy, when I could be learning to look at the world with fresh eyes.

He has lived in this world for 3 years and 7 months, and has added countless joyful moments to my life during our time together. He loves to jump on the bed; so do I. He has taught me to enjoy being silly and laughing endlessly. We both enjoy making up rhyming words that don't really exist.

I am fascinated when I watch how quickly he learns new words, absorbing them overnight if not within minutes. He is enthralled by my favorite plastic cup with its screwed on lid and the mystery of why he can never pull the straw out of it.

The other day we were lying under the bed having a quiet moment together. He remembered that we had discussed the moon waxing, just like he and I are still growing. I said, "You were small when you were a baby. Now you are a big boy, and you are growing every day. One day you will be just as big as me, maybe even bigger."

His reply utterly floored me. "When you were small, you were lonely. Now you are big, and you are not lonely any more."

Now how In the world did he know that?