wincing, I watched you struggle to walk
thinking I ran too fast
as you stumbled on the path
I dimmed my light to make yours shine brighter
you took your sweet time
pausing to sniff crayons
singing with the snails
I rushed ahead
harebrained
striving to win
races invented on paper
collapsing breathless
depleted
meanwhile
you crawl ahead, steady and sure
cheeks full of meaty lasagna
your words slow, widely spaced between silences
carrying your messages
placidly, simply
exuberant paintings
of joyful afternoons
at every family meal
contorting myself to entertain
while you munched
quietly enjoying the biggest piece
belabored words
make nobody laugh
I trained myself to take less of everything
thinking I had received too much
we were both born abundantly gifted
surrounded by love
there was no lion's share
you bathed in abundant love from the beginning
born a tortoise
moving through life slowly
resting when tired
today I'll stop running in circles
give up reproducing past races
crawl closer to you
into the cool shade
in a frog's voice
you sing to me while I sleep