Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Gratitude and forgiveness

For the past few months, I've been keeping track of things for which I'm grateful. Occasionally I post these here.

In October, I decided to forgive myself every day for one mistake, lapse, or other type of imperfection. Here are some excerpts from randomly selected days in the past month.


Sunday, October 19
Grateful to seamstress in Queens who sewed my giraffe onesie.  I'm pretending that it's for my Halloween costume, but I will also be wearing it around the house and to play dates with my young friends throughout the year.  :-)

I forgive myself for not finding time to meditate today. I meditated for almost 50 days in a row, so skipping one day isn't so bad in the big scheme of things.

Friday, October 17
Found a gluten free, dairy free recipe for chocolate avocado date pudding. It was so delicious, I ate the entire batch. Not as bad as eating a whole pint of dairy ice cream, but close.

I forgive myself for binge eating again today. Being honest about my struggles is a first step toward figuring out why I do this to myself.

Wednesday, October 15
Thankful to notice that 10 Rolfing sessions have opened up my chest and given me a better aligned posture. Doing "up dog pose" in yoga feels different now.

Not sure if this is a lapse, but I'm feeling bad about it so I will forgive myself. I asked a friend to start her life visioning class 15 minutes late to accommodate my schedule.  I was going to bring magazines to contribute for the collage process, but completely forgot. I forgive myself for just showing up empty-handed.

Saturday, October 11
Grateful that my friend E. is 5 years old today.  Noticing how much my life has changed since he was born.  I'm more playful, more honest, have more fun, and love jumping on the bed with him.

I forgive myself for eating dairy and gluten today, for the first time in 5 weeks.  I had one slice of cheese pizza and one piece of birthday cake. It turned out to be a useful experiment, because 24 hours later my pain levels were up by 2 points out of 10.

Monday, October 6
Forgiving myself for skipping drum lesson tonight. My intuition told me to stay home. Although I could have exerted my will to force myself to go, I decided to stay home. I ended up sautéing the kale I had bought earlier in the day, so now I have cooked food that I can eat throughout the week.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Somehow I spent 2 1/2 hours online yesterday. Only 10 minutes of that was doing my meditation. My new rule for October is to forgive myself for lapses, so I take a deep breath and let it go.