Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Playing with babies brings me such joy!

Spent the afternoon hanging out with a 7 month old baby. His mother was teaching Indian classical voice lessons by Skype while his father was home for a brief break from the hospital where he does eye surgery.

I was completely engrossed in watching the baby gurgle, clap, lift his head off the floor, shake his legs in time to the music, reach for various rattles, and learn to make a scratchy dinosaur growly sound that I improvised.

Babies' faces change weekly. Their behaviors are unpredictable, yet I'm familiar with the general developmental journey from decades of playing with other people's children. Since my mother was a violin teacher who held all her lessons in our home, my brother and I played with all the younger siblings of her students who were aged 3-16 years old.

I am positive that if I continue doing what brings me joy, opportunities will present themselves for me to make my living in a related occupation. I might have to invent my own job description.