Tuesday, June 3, 2014

It gets worse… Then it gets better… And it gets worse again…

So here’s the thing about living with depression. Sometimes I want to make a video explaining that yes, it gets better. Some days I wake up feeling hopeful, with many projects that seem worthwhile pursuing. On some of those days I have enough energy to take baby steps on one or two of those projects.

However, things can also get worse sometimes. After an especially exciting and tiring day, like yesterday when I observed a friend’s Music Together class and was surrounded by 12 dancing toddlers for 45 minutes, the next day can be full of lethargy and blah.

I can only accept the downs along with the ups, waiting for things to get better again.  As meditation teachers like to remind us, "this too shall pass."  Detaching from the things of this world, one is freed from the vagaries of aversion and desire.